Monday, March 1, 2010

Fairy God-Mothers

To expand on a subject that was discussed in class "other-mothering". For the record I just want to say that I do not think that other-mothering just effects racial ethnic groups as we previously read about. Now, with many women in the work force (including white women) children of all races are subject to other mothering - whether by a relative or daycare - the reality is that most child care workers spend more time with our children than we do.
When I first heard the expression "other-mothering" I was a little insulted; as if the phrase was insinuating in some way that I do not spend enough time with my children. As I thought about this antagonistic phrase - I came to the reazilation that other-mothering is no so bad after after all.
My daughter, has been with her god-mother (Mona) since she was three weeks old - in essence this IS her other mother. From doctor appointments to birthday parties - Mona is there. Mona could not love my children more even if they were her own. I do not know how my family would survive without Mona - she truly is a self-less individual. Mona's house is the one place that I know - no matter what happens - my children will be taken care of. Just as the other mothers from the readings played an important role - they continue to do so in this day and age. I am so lucky to have Mona - our families fairy god-mother!

1 comment:

  1. My mom was a stay at home mom of 5 kids, and I still had people that I referred to as my "second" moms. I think regardless of whether you are a full-time in-the-workplace woman or like me, a SAHM, there are going to be women who make a huge impact on the lives of your children. "Other mothering" is not a new concept, it happened in Biblical times... It's just that as a culture I think we denied it for a long time and now realize, it's just how life goes.

    Good post Sarah!

    ReplyDelete